Monday, June 17, 2013

Dessert Parfaits

Hello and Happy Monday! For the past 9 years, I've made these delicious parfaits for my dad every father's day! I stumbled upon the recipe in the June 2004 edition of Cooking Light magazine and I immediately knew that we needed to try them. My dad loves parfait, but prefers his without granola or any other additions...simply fruit and creamy yogurt. I new that I needed to modify this recipe, but was so satisfied with the outcome that I've never missed the granola or almonds. My version of this recipe calls for three ingredients and takes less than ten minutes to whip out. The most time-consuming step involves washing and slicing the strawberries. I've served them for breakfast and dessert and they work perfectly for both. Last night, after lasagna and presents, we enjoyed this delicious treat! The strawberries were perfectly sweet and the yogurt was so vanilla-y and smooth. I hope you make these soon! :)

Brunch Parfaits
adapted from this Cooking Light recipe, June 2004 

Ingredients:
- 4 cups of strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2.5 cups of nonfat vanilla yogurt (we used Dannon Light 'n Fit)

Directions:
Wash and slice strawberries. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat apricot preserves on high for 15-20 seconds, until melted. Heat for 10 more seconds if preserves are not yet melted. Pour preserves over strawberries and toss to coat.
source
Obtain 5 large glasses and scoop 1/4 cup of yogurt into the bottom of each glass. Add 1/3 cup strawberry + preserve mixture to top of yogurt in each glass. Add 1/4 cup of yogurt to top of strawberries and finish by adding 1/3 cup strawberries to top of yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve them. They'll keep overnight in the refrigerator. Serve with a long, silver spoon and enjoy every bite! 
I hope you'll make these for your dad  this summer! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment