Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Four Bean Chili


After a speedy 3.1 mile run on the treadmill (fastest time yet!) and an hour and a half long power yoga class in a studio heated to 100 degrees, I was ravenous and in the mood for an easy but tasty and flavorful dinner. I had seen this recipe for a twenty minute four-bean chili and I knew that tonight was the perfect night to give this a try! I arrived home with all of the ingredients at 8:45pm and guess what...I was fed and showered by 9:15pm! That's how easy it was to make this dish!

I used this recipe from Daily Garnish and modified it slightly to suite my palate. The recipe made 8 servings and I calculated the calories, fat, fiber, and protein and was absolutely flabbergasted! One serving of this hearty chili provides your body with 264 calories, 1.0 gram of fat, 15 grams of fiber, and more than 16 grams of protein. Just for comparison, one egg has 6 grams of protein and people claim that eggs are "protein powerhouses." Well, those people should make my delicious chili if they really want a "protein powerhouse." Anyhoo, I hope you'll try this recipe and enjoy it during cool nights ahead!

Easy Four Bean Chili
adapted from Daily Garnish

1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped (I used one yellow and one orange)
olive oil spray
1 can great northern beans
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can white kidney beans
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes (with green chiles)
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large pot heated to medium-low and sprayed with olive oil cooking spray, saute onion and bell peppers until browned, soft, and translucent. 
Onions first...
Then onions + peppers.
Drain and rinse all canned beans and add to the pot. Add cans of tomatoes, too. Give it a good stir and then add the cinnamon, garlic powder, salt and vegetable broth. Give the pot another few stirs, turn the heat to low, and then go take a shower! Well, you don't really have to go take a shower (if you're clean!), but that's just what I did while the chili was simmering away on my stove. When I returned less than ten minutes later, all of the flavors had blended together beautifully and my chili was ready to serve! 
Lots of leftovers to freeze! 
I enjoyed a steaming hot bowl and then packaged up the rest to freeze so that this dish can be consumed post-Thanksgiving break. I'm looking forward to many dinners and lunches of this chili in the near future...how delicious and comforting?! I hope you try out this recipe soon...perhaps as a post-Turkey day detox? I think that sounds like a wonderful idea! xoxo

P.S. All of the ingredients for this chili cost less than $13 to purchase. ¡Una ganga increíble!


No comments:

Post a Comment