Monday, November 5, 2012

Vegan Whole Wheat Apple Scones


I made these delicious apple scones a few weekends ago on a cool, fall, Sunday afternoon. I was in the mood for a delicious homemade baked good with a healthful twist. I didn't want a cookie or something super sweet; I wanted some type of sweet bread with a hearty texture and lots of flavor. My mind immediately went to these apple scones and I knew that this treat would be the perfect solution to my homemade baked good craving. And boy was I right! These scones are delicious served piping hot out of the oven or at room temperature. I suppose they would also be perfect toasted in the toaster oven for a few minutes the day after you bake them...if they last that long! They are only slightly sweet, but they are oh so chewy, flavorful and delicious. Enjoy! 

Vegan Whole Wheat Apple Scones
Adapted from Cooking Light's Whole Wheat Apple Scones, November 2006

2 cps + 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
1/4 cp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
dash of ground nutmeg
1/4 cp canola oil
1 cp shredded apple (I used honeycrisp, but granny smith and other apple varieties would also be delicious)
1/2 cp almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
cooking spray 
2 tbsp almond milk
2 tsp sugar or splenda

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a medium sized bowl. Add canola oil and mix. Shred one cup of apple (about 2 apples) using a grater. I cut my apples into 8 sections and then shredded each section (skin included) and it was super quick and easy! Add apple, almond milk, and vanilla to medium sized bowl filled with dry ingredients and oil. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray and use a 1/4 cp measuring cup to fill each muffin section with 1/4 cp of scone mix. My dough made 10 scones. Use a pastry brush to brush each scone with almond milk and sprinkle each top with a little bit of sugar or splenda. Bake at 425ยบ for 15 minutes, until the top of the scones are golden brown. Serve warm. Enjoy! :-) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment