Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Seattle


Seattle is hands-down my favorite U.S. city. I love that you can be walking in downtown Seattle and you can see the Olympic Mountain Range. I love that in my sister’s old apartment you could see the Space Needle and Mount Rainier (on a clear day!). I love that there are so many outdoor hiking spots and I love the outdoorsy feel of the city. I love the fresh, clean, mountain air and the beautiful bodies of water that surround the city. I could go on and on...

My sister is in the process of packing up her things and leaving Seattle in just a few short weeks, so this trip was a farewell tour of our beloved Seattle for the two of us. It felt wonderful to be able to see the city for one last time together. We made our Seattle bucket list (tear) and checked off the items one by one. I will always remember this trip!

On Friday, we headed to Green Lake to run the 3 mile loop. It was chilly and cool and rainy, but we ran and stretched our legs in preparation for our Saturday road race. Green Lake is always on my to-do list whenever I visit Seattle and from the pictures below…you can clearly see why. In the summer, kids are swimming in the lake and diving off the high dives and year-round crew teams use Green Lake for rowing practice. It's an absolutely beautiful place! 



On Saturday, we ran our 5K and then went home and showered and then headed out to start our day! Columbia City Bakery had been on my to-do list for the past few trips and this time I was finally able to check it off! Everything was absolutely delicious! I ordered a small baguette with strawberry jam and it was absolutely delicious! Just a quick aside – during my EuroTrip in the summer of 2010, my friend and I stayed in this awesome hostel in Paris called St. Christopher's Inn. There were at least 10 other people in our room…we slept in bunks…but the bathrooms were super clean and the breakfast was free and delicious! Every morning (we were there for three days) they would have a big crate full of fresh-out-of-the-oven French baguettes that were still warm and served with delicious homemade jam. I would eat a baguette and jam every single morning with a cup of black coffee and I was in heaven. This breakfast at the Columbia City Bakery brought me back to those early morning hostel breakfasts. My sister ordered a veggie sandwich on a multigrain roll and I had a bite and it was delicious! We also split a few pretzels bites which were incredible. The next morning we both woke up craving those pretzel bites! That’s how good they were.
We look lovely...cold, wet, but so happy after our road race








From the bakery, we headed to the Olympic Sculpture Park to see Sandra Cinto's installation of Encontro das Águas. It was beautiful and so incredible and overwhelming. I loved seeing it in person! You can check out this time-lapsed video of the installation process. It’s pretty remarkable!


 We then headed to the Seattle Asian Art Museum to see an installation of Shirin Neshat’s, Tooba, which was part of Elles: SAM at the Seattle Art Musuem. It was super powerful and moving.
Then it was time for Easy Street Records to browse through their music. I love that place!Right across the street from Easy Street Records is Metropolitan Market. How beautiful are their flowers? We spent a good 10 minutes examining all of their varieties. So pretty!

















For dinner we went to Flo, which is this delicious sushi place that I love. I loved that their menu mentions the idea of “flow,” which is something that I’ve mentioned on this blog. Super cool! 


We then headed to the mall and checked out Madewell. I’ve seen their collection online, but I had never been to an actual store. I loved all of their clothes!

Sunday was spent at the Ballard Farmer’s market. I really loved these pumpkin planters and I want to recreate these for my family’s Thanksgiving table! After venturing around the market, we headed to “The Other Coast” for lunch. They specialize in delicious sandwiches!



The following week, when we returned to Seattle, I saw the rest of the Elles exhibit, and enjoyed walking through the Seattle Public Market. My nephew enjoyed his very first piece of a baguette and my sister and I enjoyed yummy lattes. We spent the rest of the weekend nesting and cooking and walking and running and loving on each other. It was perfect! Until next time...xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment