Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A VERY special happy birthday wish and some fun colors!

Hello friends! First off, I want to send a huge birthday blessing to my grandmother, "Mamacita," as she celebrates her 100th birthday today! She's an incredible inspiration to me regarding the way to be a faithful woman of God, and I pray that God continues to bless and keep her safe all the days of her life. May she continue to thrive and live independently and be as happy as she is today for the rest of her life! I love you so much, Mamacita! :-)

Since this is a blog about pretty things, I feel the strong need to post about one of my favorite accessories: nail polish. Growing up, I went to a catholic school and was not allowed to wear nail polish. My heart would literally sink to my stomach on Monday morning while reciting our morning prayers and the pledge of allegiance when I'd gaze down at my praying hands and notice the bright red hue emanating from my fingertips. My teacher  would settle her gaze on me, seemingly at the exact instant that I had discovered my rule-breaking fingernails, and would see my frightened face and promptly summon me to the front of the class to obtain a half-used bottle of acetone and some cotton balls to remove the red pigment. I would walk to the back of the room and remove the polish, finger by finger, and fight back tears as I remembered the fun that my sister and I had  on Friday night while watching TGIF and painting our fingernails in the front room. She always did such a great job, and I never wanted to take it off! I would yearn for the days of summer when I could polish my nails to my heart's content, as long as I kept them short enough for my piano lessons! 

Well, thankfully, long gone are the days of forbidden nail polish! I absolutely love to experiment with different colors, as you've seen on this blog, but I do love a bright, charming, timeless red. My go-to color was discovered in Houston, while getting a pedicure with the same sister who would paint my fingernails on Friday nights. I fell in love with OPI Big Apple Red and have been hooked ever since. Some of my other red favorites are OPI Keys to My Karma and OPI You Rock-Apulco Red! which is super sparkly and perfect for the summer!

Big Apple Red


Keys to My Karma


You Rock-Apulco Red!
I find it so interesting that while I love red so much, so many people that I know venture well-beyond red and into the world of creams, nudes, purples, sparkles, and greens.

For instance, my cousin and I went to get pedicures last night and I got, surprise surprise Big Apple Red. However, my cousin tried a new-to-her OPI Sapphires in the Snow and it was absolutely smashing! It looked so pretty on her fair skin! I loved it and I really want to try it, but I just can't escape my love of red nails. Her pretty nails make me want to try it! How gorgeous is this? 
Sapphires in the Snow
And my mom LOVES these two Essie colors...they're so classically beautiful and look so delicate and dainty on her pretty fingers! 
Essie Imported Bubbly
Essie Limo-Scene
And my cousin Elena loves colors that are similar to this one...
Essie Sand Tropez
And my cousin Ana has recently been enjoying this color...
Essie Stylenomics
I have one sister who loves the "sparkle sparkle, shimmer shimmer" polishes, and a good friend who LOVES this sparkly OPI color, although it looked less purple and more clear when she wore it. I think it's so pretty and fun! 
OPI It's My Year
And I'll leave you with one final color to try! It's by Revlon and my mom, sister and I are HUGE fans of it! The color goes with everything and it's slightly understated, but dramatic at the same time. I feel like it's fun and flirty, but also serious and mysterious. It's definitely a great color to have on hand (pun intended)!
Revlon Stormy
Well there you go! I hope you'll enjoy trying our some of these beautiful shades! It's so fun to pick one up at CVS and then run home and try it out. All of these colors that I've featured are available at drug stores and beauty supply stores for less than ten dollars, so it's definitely an affordable splurge (if there is such a thing)! Happy polishing! xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment