Monday, October 22, 2012

Storm King Recap


Hello and Happy Tuesday! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and that you're having a great beginning of your week! And tomorrow's hump day! Woohoo! I just wanted to check-in and share my Storm King experience with you all! As expected, Storm King was absolutely incredible! It was the perfect weather with temperatures in the mid-sixties and an almost cloud-free sky. It's located in Mountainville, NY, which is about an hour from NYC, so it's a very quick and easy trip to Storm King. Here are some pics from my trip!

Well, hello, Storm King! 

The leaves were already starting to change colors! So pretty! 

I love Calder's signature!

I'd have to say that my most favorite sculptor of all time is Alexander Calder. I remember going to museums with my family from a very young age and there were always two things on my list of things to see at any museum. I had to find "the Marys," meaning Mary Cassatt paintings, and I had to find "the Calders," meaning Alexander Calder sculptures. This assignment always kept me engaged and focused at museums as a child and it's something that I definitely want to continue in the future with my own children. I would walk into a museum and immediately look up at the ceiling to see if I could spot a Calder mobile. We'd then continue into the galleries and I'd see if I could spot a "Mary." It was a wonderful way to engage a young child and it definitely has made me an avid art lover from a very young age.

We arrived around 1pm and made our way from our car to the 500 acre land that is Storm King. We felt so small in comparison to the huge expanse of land that the art center occupies. There was definitely a lot to see, but we never felt overwhelmed by all of the sculptures, which was how I was expecting to feel. We stayed until Storm King closed at 5:30pm and we saw almost all of the sculptures. They had an incredible "Light and Landscape" exhibit and it was incredible to see how all of these works were tied together. I wasn't expecting there to be an indoor exhibit - I thought only outdoor sculptures were on display at Storm King, but that was not the case. They had several pieces on display in an old house that existed on the land before Storm King Art Center came into existence. The house was beautiful and it showcased pieces by Louise Bourgeois, Donald Judd, Katie Holten, Anthony McCall, and others.We had a wonderful time exploring the sculpture grounds and we're so excited to go back soon! It was an absolutely wonderful trip.





This was awesome...you stand on the month and your shadow tells you what time it is! We tried this out by standing on "OCT" and our shadow was a quarter before 3 and we checked our phones and indeed, it was 2:45. It was spot on!







William Lamson's house was incredible! There were so many people just lounging by it and enjoying the beautiful fall day. It was quite popular!












  


Maya Lin's awesome land art installation.  
These solar panels soak up light during the day so this sculpture glows all night long...just like the moon!  














So long, Storm King. Until next time...

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment