Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Fetching Mrs. Hewitt's Molasses Crinkles

Source
Happy Tuesday! I hope you are all having a wonderful start to your week. Only three more work days left until this weekend...woohoo! Speaking of weekend, this past Saturday, I was at my parent's house and I was eating my oatmeal and reading the Wall Street Journal, when my dad slipped a few pieces of paper right in front of me. I saw him staple two pieces of paper together and then he walked over to me and said "Here's a recipe. I think you should try to make these." Immediately, I was confused by the Trader Joe's reference, and I still have no idea why the second greatest grocery store chain on Earth (Wegman's is numero uno!) is listed in the title, but I immediately put down the WSJ and picked up this sheet of paper.

Apparently, Hugh Hewitt always refers to his wife as the "Fetching Mrs. Hewitt" and never by her real name. These are her cookies and apparently they're awesome. I saw this recipe and nearly gasped at the inclusion of Crisco, but I knew that the basic elements included in the cookie dough would make for a very tasty treat. Eager to make this version of the famous molasses crinkles a little more figure-friendly, I opted to use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter," whole-wheat flour, and Splenda brown sugar blend for baking. These cookies are by no means healthful, but they certainly do have fewer calories and fat than the Fetching Mrs. Hewitt's version. My family loved them and I'm sure yours will, too. I hope you'll make these soon. Enjoy! :-) xoxo

Molasses Crinkles
adapted from the Fetching Mrs. Hewitt's Molasses Crinkles Recipe

3/4 cup of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend for Baking
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses 
1 and 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup white flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ginger

Instructions:
Cream faux butter, sugars, egg and molasses in a medium-size bowl until fluffy. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl and whisk. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Refrigerate dough for one hour. While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a medium-size cookie scoop, scoop dough onto lined baking sheet. Roll dough into balls and dip top side of balls into sugar. Place sugar-coated balls on baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack and then serve. This recipe makes 36 crinkles. 


The dough is stiff after chilling for an hour. 
After rolling dough into balls, they're ready to be dipped in sugar!
They look so pretty all sugar-coated!
Finished product! Yummers!
 I hope you'll try this delicious and super-easy to make molasses crinkle recipe. I promise that it will be perfect for the holidays!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment